Re: prerecorded loops

>hmmm... I guess I spend too much time going to CCRMA to hear 'piece for
>violin and tape' and 'composition for tape and cello'... or, worse yet
>'tape machine duet'... hehe... :)

Well, those tape things are a weird case. I didn't know they were still
happening. I admit I participated in a "Tape Music Festival" in april. ALL
the music was prerecorded, and all the artists did was mildly adjust the
EQ
for the room and PA system. That was quite different from a live
performance, but all of the music presented was brand new unreleased work,
too intricate to be accurately represented on most home stereos, and we
very
specifically stated that all the music presented was prerecorded. A lot of
people came, and it was a good event.

>nine inch nails (until thier last tour) ran 7 tracks of prerecorded
>material along with thier live instrument playing...

>yeah and <moby> band plays to a dat tape(*a lotta bands do it*)-sorry
>they
>all lose points on immediacy and thinkin creatively on yer toes...

It's kind of strange that artists like Nine Inch Nails and Moby (to whom
very little of the musical output is actually generated in real time) are
expected to go out and do the same kind of tours as bands that play actual
instruments. I understand that it's a huge challenge, yet the use of
background tracks seems like such a cop out. It takes a lot away from the
legitimacy of being a "live" performance. At either show, I'd much rather
see them play find a way to play every element live, even if it means that
they're simply hitting "A" on a keyboard for a particular sample, and the
rhythm tracks don't sound exactly like the drum machine on the cd. It's
quite possible to get really nice sounding electonic-ified rhythm sounds
out
of a regular drum kit - I've seen it done. For $50 a ticket, I would hope
that tour organizers could hire somebody to do it.

Then again, I'm sure most Nine Inch Nails or Moby fans would be pissed if
the song they heard at the concert didn't sound like the cd. I've never
been
able to understand how going to a big stadium concert is so important to
fans of that kind of music. Is it a matter of being in the room with the
performer? Seeing him/her without it being a photograph or tv screen?
That's
what it was for me when I was a teen, and the lack of that line of
thinking
saves me a lot of money these days.

>sorry to me it doesnt make any sense.for me its about honesty and
>reality.the latter which i'm not too familiar w/ sometimes...

I've always been under the impression that the live music event was
supposed
to be a tool to prove that the musician in question has the same amount of
talent and innovation on stage as (s)he does on the recording. Of course,
there is a number of ways in which this argument could be faulty. These
days
I think this cultural expectation that ALL serious musicians (especially
the
famous ones) should do "live performance" shows is silly and outdated.
There's just too large of an amount of music that's intricately created by
someone spending 40 hours on a computer - it's not even really applicable
think of loyally bringing that to a live format.

Matt Davignon