RE: cheap looper

Michael,

there are a lot of options available, most of which you'll know at least by
name (Boomerang, Digitech PDS8000, ZVex Lo-Fi Loop Junkie, Akai Headrush,
Line6 Dl4). I do own the Dl4 and the Headrush, and have been playing for a
short time with a PDS8000. My recommendation: get the DL4. Reasons:
This is a superb delay. Delay time is only ~5sec. (in comparison to the
PDS8000s 8sec. and the Headrush's 23sec.), BUT: excellent sound quality,
true stereo delays, solid stompbox, lots of interesting AND accurately
modelled "vintage" delays (I only know the SpaceEcho in its original form,
but the guys from the dubreggae combo I used to play in gave me completely
flabberghasted looks when I appeared at a show with a small green stombox
which - among other things - sounded exactly like their huge SpaceEchos), a
chorus, LFO-modulated filter and tube and tape distortion as nice addons,
and a 14sec. loop recorder with reverse, stutter and halftempo
functionality
plus a 800msec. delay), and the option to connect any expression pedal for
realtime control. I liked this from day one as a simple looper and cool
delay, but just recently found out what it really does and how much I use
it
when I moved it from my main rig to my live rig (because I thought I could
do what I used to do with the DL4 with my lots of other effects, like
headrush, FireworX, HR-GP5, Studio4, Vortex, RS3, D2 etc - mistake!).

The Headrush is cheaper, sounds worse, has a maximum delay time of ~23sec.
in standard delay mode, a stupid overdub logic which halves available loop
time, and can emulate a four-head tape echo (max. delay time of 5.6sec)
sending out the separate heads to 4 separate outputs, allowing for some
real
madness...but this is rather a specialized option. The PDS8000 allows for
modulated long delays that sound completely honkers. The Boomerang is the
only stomplooper for long loops. The ZVEX can't overdub...

None of these devices will allow you to make that kind of outstanding music
contained on your CD, though...

        Rainer

Rainer Straschill
Moinlabs GFX and Soundworks - www.moinlabs.de