OT: External battery question for a wiz....

Any electronics wizzes out there ?
I want to use an external NiMH battery to power
a Roland BR532 portable recorder.  The recorder
takes 6 D cells or a 9V DC power supply.  The
Roland power supply actually outputs around 9.5V
on a meter.  The recorder draws a min of 200mA....
I can get 9.6V NiMH packs inexpensively....  but
they are liable to be even hotter when first charged.
Question:  Is there an easy way to voltage regulate
an external battery or does anyone know how well
Roland protects its gear in terms of the voltage being
plus or minus the required amount ?
--
gary
@friendlyspider.com