Re: Drummers playing to metronomes and loops live

Wow...what a great post!  I have on numerous accounts been complimented
for
my ability to, as a bassist, to navigate to the "right" side of the beat,
and have been asked how do I find the top or back of the beat in my
playing.
  The answer is, much as Rick pointed out, by putting myself in an
emotional
state of laziness or edginess, and allowing my playing to gravitate
towards
that.

But, I really like the conept of "aural hallucination".

Which brings up another topic: As musicians we tend to focus on technical
matters be it from a standpoint of playing technique or gear issues.  Yet,
there is a whole emotional pallette from which we must also draw to enrich
our music.  The state of mind, or chemical imbalance thereof, from which
we
play is a very imporatnt launching pad for our sonic flights....and I
think
this might be very important to the making of "loop-based" music.
Just as Rick spoke of the "aural hallucinations", are there any other,
perhaps off-the-wall, concepts and techniques folks are using to mentally
and emotionally, place themselves, and/or their perception of
playing/rhythm/harmony/melody, in the music?

Max