Re: loop device endorsement - was Santanas looping bassist

i hate it when people want to argue the details of an example instead of
the concept being illustrated, but anyway...

At 12:32 PM 8/23/2002, Luigi Meloni wrote:
>Great analisys, Kim...
>Only a thing... Many seven string guitar players learned 'bout the
>existence
>of seven stringers because of the ads featuring Steve Vai in the mid to
>late
>eighties...

probably including the guys in Korn.

>And Steve Vai is still reputed more influential than the various
>Korn and clones...

you're fooling yourself. Steve Vai stopped being relevant or influential
15
years ago, and even then he was only interesting to guitar nerds. Sure, he
has a core group of fans who care about what he does, but nobody new is
entering the picture. Hardly anybody under the age of 30 would even know
who he is, and he's not inspiring people to go learn to play guitar
anymore. He might have been the one who got a few people interested in
playing seven string guitar a long time ago, but right now, Korn is huge
and they do inspire people to go buy and learn to play seven string guitar
today. A lot more people than Steve Vai ever reached. That was my point.

>Just think about P.R.S. guitars...
>In all the eighties and the nineties I've never seen as much photos
>featuring those guitars around... God... the Santana SE ads have some
>Nu-metal jerk on them, not Santana.

well duh. Santana is great, but he's old news. Everybody who was going to
be influenced by Santana already got influenced 25 years ago. The "nu
metal
jerk" probably reaches far more people today than Santana has in years.

kim