RE: Do you even know the definition of the word influential?!

In a message dated 8/26/2002 9:01:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time, rs@moinlabs.de writes:

I don't think you're
right regarding the underlying "the kids don't listen to good stuff anymore

Thats not what I'm saying at all.

I'm not even going "there" as I dont think people today care to know/discern what is "good "or "bad" or even have it pointed out to them as that no one really cares anymore.

Again, people are into stuff they can already see and observe for themselves that other people are into and make choices based upon what they see others doing and especially so in todays Music Biz consujer side of the equation - 12-21 bein the hot ticket #/demographic.

& Good and bad dont really matter as much anymore as that you as an act/artist are whatever you are branded to be and for or, you are just marginalized if u cant fit in and you are not on anyone's radar.

I would personally not wanna be on anyones radar than my own self propelled spaceship running on music and my own direct tie ins etc that can fincane my path ( al al sun ra mythology ) that music has charted out for me - theres gotta be a middle ground somewhere - dont know if that is possible in a world where either u sell big or meet targeted numbers or u are a nobody.

and consumers taste these days is more of a group thing now more than an individual preference...

That really flies hard against the face of most of what us old farts ( Im an old fart too ) cherish or were drawn to when we began our realtionship with music IMHO

But again IMHO more or less people dont care for seeking or finding more than what is put in fromt of them - is that stupid?

i dont think so just yet.

and in terms of what music is available today from just the sheer quantity of it that is out there,  that sure is a full plate to eat from ( some foods healthy or unhealthy but people dont care IMHO ) and more than adequete food for folks with attention spans which are dwindling as we type these words.

& to get through IMHO to people a sizable and bankable demographic - 12-21 these days, it requires "supplemantal stimulation" & many associations on levels that bombard and are repetitively are introduced and thusly reintroduced and seen over and over again - thru various products & more than just the music which by our old fart thinking, should be plenty to sell people on and say it all; but thats a naieve perspective IMHO.

& again are people stupid?

Well...I dont wanna be that cynical and think that people are stupip as I think people/masses/consumers have traditionally never considered music to be as important as musicians see their music.

But it is very easy to dismiss people as stupid when in fact all i can say is that my experience of music may not necessarily be someone elses experience.

As my experience & definition of brilliance & joy may be someone elses annoyance.

but then just who is right?

I dont personally care or need to know who is right or wrong.

Though, I am aware of the market place as that part of the performance IMHO of - any - musician is not just in the studio or on stage or in your practicing or in the part where u feel so creative, vital & connected but rather the greatest part of a musicians performance largely takes place when they are not doing anything other than being perceived as that a performance never ends for a musician - even when you are dead - Elvis best example of this in term sof his sales in death

But that ongoing performance awareness is the largest part of any musicians career IMHO - getting perceived  - and then - recognized - and thusly fairly compensated for work performed ...& often it dont work in that order or with that logic or fairness most times:)

but regardless as to any perception I may have about music or anyody elses music, I dont think i wanna believe people are stupid just yet.

Warmest Regards,
John Price/AKASH
"The World's Most Erotic Band"
http://www.akashmusic.com
http://www.mp3.com/akashmusic
"Remember To Always Kill Your Expectations"