Re: Santana no longer influential?!?! HORSE CHIPS!!!!!!

At 11:28 AM 8/26/2002, Richard Zvonar wrote:
>At 9:27 PM -0700 8/25/02, Kim Flint wrote:
>
>>If we are interested in how looping can grow beyond a weird little
>niche,
>>it has to become a part of popular music culture today.
>
>Aside from the obvious economic advantages, how desirable is it, really,
>for looping to become mainstream? I rather enjoy being part of a "weird
>little niche" culture.

hmm, I don't really understand that statement. why would a wider
acceptance
of looping affect your desire to remain obscure?

Guitar is one of the most popular instruments in the world. Yet
experimental guitarists are still able to be as experimental as they like.
The instrument's popularity otherwise does not harm them or prevent them
from being as far outside the mainstream as they like.

If anything, it helps. Because guitar is a popular instrument, the
experimental guitarist has a wide array of choices in guitars and
guitar-related products. Many options for features, price, quality, color,
whatever. New products come out all the time.

With looping, you have few choices. Products are rarely updated or
disappear completely. New products hardly ever appear. Supportive
manufacturers lose interest or go out of business. Users have to make many
compromises in terms of price/features/quality because there is so little
incentive for anybody to make products for them. Wider acceptance of
looping would change that.

kim