sampler basics

I was hoping someone might have some easy answers to what is likely a
rudimentary sampler question:

I play in a duo with someone who uses two CDs to shuffle between found
sounds and other audio snippets in a relatively cohesive manner (in a
predetermined order). This works well, but he has trouble reading his
sample
lists on stage, and he frequently goes back and forth between bites and
varies the order from show to show, which means he is always making
different bathces of sample CDs. He supplements with a Nuemark mixer that
has some sampling capabilities.

What he wants is a unit that will store his samples, preferably with text
listing in the LCD window, the ability to do both single shot and looped
samples, BPM syncing via midi, and real time pitch shifting. I would add
that removable media of some kind.

I originally thought a Repeater would be the thing for him, but I am not
so
sure now. Neither of us have much experience with hardware samplers, and
we
are also considering using Unity with a G3 powerbook. Does anyone have any
advice? Thanks.

Nick Schillace
In Door Park