How people get into looping (was: some other subject that I've just deleted)

> > I think what it boils down to is this: Looping doesn't seem
> > interesting to most musicians when explained or experienced.
> > You've really just got to do it to love it.  I could be wrong.
>
> I think this is true. This is why the addition of simple loop
> functionality into devices like the DL4 will probably help the cause.
> You buy it 'cause it's a great delay...you wind up loving looping and
> may eventually want a more advanced tool for that.

I think that's partly true, but a heck of a lot of people just can't seem
conceptualise what looping is. It's unbelieveable. It's not until they sit
and see close up you hitting start and stop that they get any idea what's
going on. A massively disproportionate number of my students have bought
looping devices of one sort or another, and as a result are writing solo
bass material, layering in their bands, practicing more etc. etc. and the
majority of them wouldn't have given it a thought before their first
lesson.
They 'knew' about looping, having read interviews with Michael Manring or
Victor Wooten or whatever, but not having seen it, they hadn't made any
real
connection.

That's where video and clinics comes in handy - whenever I do a clinic,
there's a pretty long queue of people at the end asking about looping...

cheers

Steve
www.steve-lawson.co.uk