Roland PK-5 as Echoplex Controller

Shake off those dark thoughts with gear acquisition!  I just got these MIDI
bass pedals (used, on eBay) to use for a variety of live performance
situations (I gotta get a gig!) but especially for live looping, and I have
good news for Echoplex Digital Pro users.  It's possible to program an
octave of note on/offs on their "sound effects" bank on any MIDI channel,
in
addition to the octave of mono bass and polyphonic bass and also drum banks
(one ROM, one RAM), each bank selectable with a dedicated switch.  So with
thirteen notes, you can control all the front panel functions and any of
the
DirectMIDI stuff you like.  There is also the ability to send Program
changes on any channel and two banks of control changes (one ROM, one RAM),
so you could control volume and feedback as well as sending CC6 for data
wheel stuff (it just sends a value on a given CC--so this isn't real
flexible).
I love my PMC-10, but they make crappy bass pedals, so I was please to find
out just how programmable this unit was (comes with typically cryptic
Roland
Engrish manual).  It can be powered by batteries as well as AC and, yes,
it's velocity sensitive!
Here's some links for more info:
http://www.rolandus.com/specs_brochures/PK5FX.pdf
http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Roland/PK-5-Pedal-Keyboard-01.html
Best news of all, it's still in production . . .
Gary