Re: Andre EDP Loops

  Hey Sean, -not sure how configurable the DBeam is.  I just got the 505 a
couple of weeks ago and am wildly assimilating the manual and practicing
with it.  You can associate pitch and speed, and I've done that, but
haven't played with that in a musical context as I was going for more of a
theremin-like idea, using a loop as the tone.  I found that in practice
though, the scratching idea was possible.  I also thought about sending
cc's to reverse the loop, and will investigate this but for now, I'm pretty
much almost exclusively working on material for the upcoming Women's
Looping festival in San Jose  in Oct.  -So we'll see what happens...
  Anyway, we'll keep ya informed how it goes.   <smile>  Have a great
day!...

Smiles,

CQ

At 12:09 PM 9/14/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Neat idea.  What about doing tempo along with pitch - faster tempo
>combined
>with higher pitch and slower tempo combined with lower pitch?  Throw in a
>way to switch directions (forward, reverse) and it seems like that would
>be
>an even closer approximation of scratching.
>
>For example - you choose a midpoint of your control range.  The first
>value
>to either side of the midpoint changes direction of playback (mid + 1 ==
>forward and mid - 1 == reverse).  Then as the control values get further
>away from the mid you increase/decrease pitch and tempo.
>
>The difficulty would be establishing that mid point (and limiting the
>change of direction to only two single control values) via a typical
>controller.  Seems possible with a computer or maybe an outboard midi
>filter.
>
>How configurable is the DBeam?
>

>At 11:10 AM 2002/09/14, Goddess wrote:
>>   I'm simulating a sort of scratch using the DBeam on the MC-505 to send
>>note messages to pitchshift tracks in the Repeater.   When done quickly,
>it
>>sounds like scratching.   Woohoo!   -lots of fun!   -and can be very
>>musical too...

---

-Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~thefates