Re: MiniDisc for field recording

>a portable HD recorder like the Jukebox should have the same quality
>as a DAT, if the converter is sufficiently good (I dont know), and
>its smaller and less sensitive to humidity and such, since the
>mechanics (the HD) is totally sealed. Its pretty small too, although
>not quite as small as an MD.

I would think (but I do not know) that a portable DAT would have much
better A/D chips than a Nomad, since recording is it's Raison d'Etre,
where the Nomad is really about playing music and having the recording is
"bonus."  I looked on the creative site, but I didn't see anything about
which WAV formats it records in or what it's sampling and bit depth are.

I do most of my field recording on a MiniDisc, it's size, battery life and
ease of use are pretty key for me.  I record my gigs either on the
portable DAT or the MD.  My portable DAT ate a tape on Saturday night, so
there you have the downside.

      Kevin

Kevin Goldsmith                          kevin@unitcircle.com
Unit Circle Media                   http://www.unitcircle.com