re: WATER MUSIC

At 11:44 PM -0700 9/28/02, Rick Walker/Loop.pooL wrote:

>I thought I was being so clever and original

You WERE being clever and original. Many people are clever and
original without any knowledge of each other's activities. Sometimes
people influence each other and sometimes it's just independent
discovery.

One of my favorite water pieces was an installation by Trimpin that I
saw at New Langton Arts in San Francisco some time in the '80s. A
large number of glass containers of various sizes were arranged on a
low platform (probably designed as a resonator) and on the ceiling
above each was a computer controlled valve that allowed a single drop
of water to fall into the container below. The release of the drops
was precisely controlled to form complex patterns, with pitch and
timbral qualities determined by the nature of the containers. The
sounds changed gradually over time as the containers began to fill
with water.

This was my first exposure to Trimpin's work. I became a fan immediately.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com