Re: Piezo mics and water sounds

I may be mistaken but I think the piezoelectric effect produces a
charge, not a voltage, to be precise. They have ideally infinite DC
impedance, like a capacitor. True charge amps are hard to build but
are used, instead of voltage preamps, for piezoelectric
accelerometers in the acoustics and vibration instrumentation. But
I've had fine results just plugging a bare disc into a guitar amp,
and sticking the disc between bridge and body as Matthias suggests.

Another conceptually interesting feature of piezo material is its
symmetry-- if you apply an external charge to the material, it moves!
(a very tiny bit). In my copious spare time I hope to develop an
e-bow/Sustainiac like device that would work on non-metallic objects,
using this principle. (Don't hold your breath.)

Most piezoelectric material is also pyroelectric, meaning it
generates an electrical response to heat. Perhaps some of the recent
threads on "hot" looping can take note of this to good effect. :-)

Does anyone really know how C-ducers work? I believe they are
capacitive, because the foil inside the pickup thingy is not Kynar (a
piezoelectric mylar) or anything like it. In fact I have made pickups
with aluminum foil and scotch tape, which work amazingly well into a
C-ducer preamp but don't make a peep plugged into anything else.

Here's a link to some cool piezo sensor products:
http://www.msiusa.com/piezo

I bought this company's design kit from Digikey. They now have online
ordering from their site, and I notice there are now some $25
hydrophone products listed too. The piezo cable looks really
interesting.

Bernie Krause recommended to me hydrophones from Underwater Acoustics
in Vancouver BC. Barbara there was very helpful and sold me one of
the very nice units they use for eco-tourist whale listening. Bernie
also echoed the comments of many film sound designers, that a real
world recording rarely sounds like we imagine it, especially with
something so subtle as water. You often need to create the desired
"nature" sound with multiple tracks and more in the studio.

I couldn't find a URL for that company, but have the info somewhere
on paper if anyone's interested. I did just find a link to another
very nice looking professional hydrophone product:

http://www.dolphinear.com/pro/index.htm

If anyone has the $300 to blow on one of these, let us all know how
well it works!!!

My all time favorite underwater recordings use the tried-and-true but
rather risky Neumann-with-a-condom technique. The serpent fight scene
in the live action Jungle Book movie features sounds I recorded in
this manner in a hot tub with my wife. I should loop those tracks and
call it Freudian Field Day...

-Alex S.