Re: Impedance and Reactance

Simply put, impedance is the interaction between resistance and frequency.
It effects the signal transfer.  I took a class where we looked at it
mathematically, and it was way beyond me.  I think of impedance (load) like
bike gears.  A transistor is always trying to pedal with all it's might.
If
the gear is too low (2 ohms), the pedaling will be too fast (current too
high) and you'll burn  your legs out.  Most commercial amps like the "gear"
to be between 6-8 ohms.  Two low and you can burn out your amp.  Lot's of
pro
stuff will deal with a 2 ohm load.  Touch your positive and negative leads
together to find out what will happen with no load.  That smell will be
your
amp frying.   Your reactance will be one of crying and maybe shouting.  If
the impedance is too high, your amp probably won't care, but you won't get
lot of signal.

This may be a horrible analogy, but it's how I think of it.  Am I wrong?

Mark Sottilaro