Re: review in NY Rock

>>>Is it any good?
Well, spatial noises as far as art is concerned is a matter of mood -
at the moment it's okay, but if I were in a shitty mood, I'd say this
were just aural jerking off, and advise the guy to sell hot dogs or
cut lawns for a living.<<<

I HATE reviews like this - review-guy, we don't give two shits about your
mood, OK? I don't know you, don't have any reference point for evaluating
how your moods correlate with what is and isn't artistic. Your job is to
help describe the music. If there are any obvious errors, then feel free to
highlight them, if there is an overall lack of coherence, describe it. But
don't bitch about someone else's hard work because it might not match your
mood sometimes!!!!!!We don't need your advice over career choices or
anything else. Do your job!!!

I really need to put up a dos and don'ts of reviewing on my site - there
are
so many lame writers out there dismissing what we do because they think
they
are charles shaar murray...

It's infuriating - reviews can be so enlightening. Even bad reviews can be
helpful if they are objective and constructive. But stuff like this is
nonsense. Thanks for posting it, Scott, I'll remember never to send that
guy
a CD of mine... Knowing how connected people can be with their music, it's
almost scary that there are writers like this out there coming out with
stuff like that. I've got students who'd be destroyed if someone wrote like
that about them...

I had a really thowaway mention in a Schizoid review recently from some guy
who said that I just did frippertronics with a bass, and hey, it's a way to
make a living, I guess - it's just lazy writing. If it had been an actual
review of my gig, I might have written to him, but as a two line mention in
someone else's review, I'm not really in a position to complain...

It makes me all the more appreciative for the clarity and wisdom of so many
of the reviews that originate on this list itself.

grrrrr

Steve
www.steve-lawson.co.uk