Re: loop recordings pool

> So far I just exchanged (swapped) CDs (mostly CD-Rs) with loop
>  brothers (and now the first from a sister is under way). I find this
>  very friendly and I made it to a pile of about 20 so far.

Indeed, Matthias dumped a whole load of music
on my hard drive when he came to visit.
Only just got round to listening.

Marvelous experience, Stefan Keller's flute loop music
was a real surprise.

>  I am a little split about the form: I save all in mp3 on the HD,
>  because I am tired of CD mess and CD players, but some CDs are nice
>  to have for the cover.
>  Also, I hate to select which of my recordings is suitable for someone
>  I dont know yet, so I think about creating a CD-ROM full of mp3s
>  (still not all of my work!).
>  Some hear the difference, but somehow I doubt that most of us record
>  at a sufficient quality to make mp3 a bad choice.

A lot of people hear the difference.
...and most people will be affected by the sound quality in
terms of how much they enjoy the music, even if
they don't perceive it as 'quality'.

"standard 128 kBit stereo MP3 files"
are not that good sounding, going to 160kBit improves
things quite a lot.

It makes a lot more difference what the music is played
on though. Listening on small multimedia speakers next
to a whining PC doesn't do much for the music.
But after I transfered standard 'lofi' mp3s to CD and played on a 'proper
hifi'
the music really came to life.

I like the idea of distributing selected tracks as mp3
giveaway, but also having high quality CDs available.

>  So the looppool could be a site, where everyone who loads his works
>  up to, has the right to download the others works.

>  Gibson is willing to support a new site that will be directed rather
>  to the public and artists that are not yet familiar with looping, as
>  has been discussed here and put together in my "action plan" mail.
>  There we need a collection of music anyway to show what we can do. So
>  I am thinking about how this may turn into our music pool.

:-)

>  Also: Most of us who managed to create a professional CD sell them on
>  their own label. Thats nice somehow, but its not very economic and
>  not so impressive for the buyer.

check out

<A HREF="http://www.burningshed.com/">Burning Shed: CDRs on demand</A>

an interesting way to sell music
....and they're going to be putting on a
loop gig in norwich UK

>  >
>  >OK,  end of soapbox segment of this e-mail...................LOL!!!
>
>  I never really understood that soapbox thing... is it slippery? Do I
>  stay on it?

FYI
just a wooden box used by the speech maker as
a stage.

andy butler