Re: Please lets all sit together now and define what we do!

>I've found that having a sample based looper has expanded my concept
>of what looping is to me as a musician.

sample looping as opposed to tape looping has been coming back here,
because they are tecnically and musically distinct. Part of the
success of the EDP is the way it combines the two concepts...
Then with the Boss you also can have prerecorded loops, which is
another expansion to "real time looping" as we usually treat here.

>That said, I don't really know if there is a general classification
>that can be made for looping as an art form (I do believe looping to
>be it's own unique art form),

ok , thats a vote!

>but do you really want a generalization to be made??  The moment
>that you categorize something is the same moment that you create
>boundries and parameters.  Looping is a very open ended form, which
>is why it exsists in so many aspects and styles of music which may
>be why it's so endearing and has become a passion for many of us.

In many discussions of this year, we came to the conclusion that its
the lack of parameters and definition which makes that its a passion
of so few!
We certainly dont want artists to respect boundaries, but we want to
give the public a reason to go to a loop concert.

>So I've failed to provide an adequate definition for what we do, I
>know what I do, but if I speak for all of us, then I'm immediately
>placing limitations on what the rest of you do musically, which I'm
>certain in some way differs from what I do musically.  I do wish to
>explain why I define looping as an art form.  The playing of any
>individual instrument can be defined as a form of art, playing
>guitar requies a different type of artistry from playing the
>bassoon, both are valid artistic skills, thus in my mind can be
>defined as unique art forms.  I view the loop as an instrument in
>itself, whether it's a drone, or a snippet of speech or a scale of
>notes.  The creation of the loop requires a certain degree of
>technique and artistry, certainly with practice anyone can do it but
>the artistry is what differentiates between what your loops sound
>like and what my loops sound like.  Thus, in a way, the loop becomes
>an instrument onto itself unique in the players hands, making it a
>unique art form.  Just as painting in oil and acrylic are unique art
>forms...

this sounds very clear to me and I hope its common sense...
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org