Was: recommended recordings - Frisell

From: "jim palmer" <jimp@pobox.com>

> > Okay . . . I've shown you mine (or some of the most silly ones).
> > You all fess up now and show me yours.
> >
> > Ted Killian
>

> here's some that i used to consider embarrassing but am pretty much over
that:

> my earliest favorite song (that i can remember) was
> "wreck of the edmund fitzgerald" by gordon lightfoot
>
> my first concert was the beach boys
> i will always remember that fondly, and still love their tunes
> brian wilson is a genius
> they also got me into gospel with those tv specials in the 70s
>
> john denver
> great songwriter, great voice, lot's of fun
>
> ok the worst ones next:
> boston and journey.
> if only i could sing high and clear and in-tune.
> whew... that's a load off...
>
> i don't think i'll ever do anything of my own that is like any of these,
though.

> the list-that-would-not-be-embarrassing-to-the-earlier-me is way to long
for a mailing list...

Earliest favorite song?  I think it may have been "Summer in the City" by
the Lovin' Spoonful.  Or anything in the Motown catalog by 1965.  Or was it
"Flower Girl" by the Cowsills?  Oh well.

First Concert?  If high school counts, Mountain came to Ridgewood HS in
Fall
1970.  If it doesn't, it'd be the Rolling Stones, Madison Sq Garden, August
1972.  Or Connie Stevens in a road show of "The Wizard of Oz" in the
pouring
rain (her calico was running!), Swope Park, Kansas City MO, 1962?  Yes, one
CAN have lust at age 5.

First bought single?  Alas.  "I Want You Back" by the Jackson Five.  First
LP, "From Elvis in Memphis", bought with "Yellow Submarine".  Let's face
it,
my brother saved me with a one-two punch later on: "Bayou Country" by CCR,
and "Best of Cream".  It was FM all the way from that point on, and
farewell
to WABC...

I wish I'd gone to see the Stones on the Steel Wheels tour.  I had a chance
but it was the end of tour, and in 75 Mick had been HORRIBLE at the end of
the "April Fools"/"Black and Blue" tour.  I hear it was one of their best
shows.  I wish also that I'd gone to see the Grateful Dead more (72, 76,
79,
then 92 in Vegas).  Jerry!!

And at last, Neil Young.  Learned to play guitar with the help of
"Harvest",
starting with "Heart of Gold", thank you very much!  Favorite albums by him
would be "American Stars n' Bars", "Time Fades Away", "On the Beach", and
"Tonight's the Night" - and only one of those is in print, alas.  I still
have a fairly pristeen cassette [cough] of "On the Beach", that one of
these
days I'm going to burn to CD.  The prophetic lyrics of "Revolution Blues"
come to mind time and time again these days.  I was working on a cover of
that song, then Columbine happened, and the bit about "I'm a barrel of
laughs with my carbine on/I keep 'em hoppin' till my ammunition's gone"
makes my face scrunch up in an emotion I've not quite figured out yet.

It's late here, can'tcha tell? :)  Nite all.

S.P. Goodman
EarthLight Productions
*
http://www.earthlight.net/Gallery - Cartoons and Illustrations!