Re: making a spectacle of yourself

Performance, and "the live show" are to me an important part of the whole
gig experience. In many ways this is why I have still got some problems
with
DJ's (are they musicians or no). And as many have said during this thread,
we as looping/technological musicians can have the same problem. As Goddess
says, few people are actually that interested in the "gear" being used or
how the music is even being made, (most of us on the list are probably
exceptions tho, I am guessing here, but would wager that you are all like
me
and make your way to the front to see what those flashing lights in the
rack
are, rather that look at the performers)

Part of me wants to say that as performers, we should all care about how we
look live (not in a crass, clothes, hairstyles and rock n roll stance
aspect) but in the general ambience of the performance. I myself am very
boring to look at live, however I try to compensate by having video
projections (actually they are tiny interactive movies (animations, text,
quicktime vignettes) all triggered by a flash interface that my lighting
guy
can "play" in time with the music.

Last night I went to see Coil live in Oslo, this would have been most dull
(couple of synth players and a computer) if it wasnt for the bizarre
ritualistic "goings-on" that was happening all around the place...

However I must say that I have seen alot of laptop electronica recently
(very big scene here in Norway) and have found it refreshing in its
simplicity, and honesty. One geeky guy sat behind a G4 is not much to look
at but have found in these occasions that the audience has sat back in
silence and "just listened", giving an almost classical concert feel to the
proceedings!!!

Still tho... the old punk in me wonders if dem kids nowadays are missing
sommat by not pogoing wildly to the Clash! I gues thats why they invented
Linkin Park et al???

Mark

         mark red
 www.mark-red.com