Re: Raga

where'd she get a name like Nora Jones then?

>  > Shankar's also way cool of course.
>
>He plays too many notes too fast for me.

I seem to remember Salieri saying something like that about Mozart in
Amadeus...

I have to say that I wasn't really familiar with Ravi Shankar's work until
saw him play Alice Tully about 10 years ago.   I expected him to be
western-influenced
and instead he presented a very formal and classical show which was
also very expressive.

Highly recommended is his collaboration with Yehudi Menuhin, "East Meets
West" -- Menuhin gets raga form and the ornamentation style almost
instinctively, it's uncanny.   I also have a short interesting avant-garde
CD whose name escapes me now, a sound track for a film, on the BBC
label, with some lovely cuts with exotic instrumentation that I cannot
place by ear (some of it sounds like a glass harmonica, for example)...

     /t
--

http://loopNY.com ......................An "open loop": shows every
Saturday!