RE: won't get gated again

Title: RE: won't get gated again

> also how Pete Townshend got the keyboard sound on
> Won't Get Fooled Again...it's actually an organ

a Lowrey, in fact. :)<<

I got to listen to the m/track of this once, and push the faders up and down. it seems townshend showed up with a lump of tape with this treated lowrey on it and made the band play along to it, and the track was done live. there's a chunk in the middle that got edited out when they mixed it, that's just a lowrey/vcs3 workout.

and the fumbles from all concerned are hilarious- most reassuring to hear the late great ox making the same mistakes on the bass that I would've. a lot of people think it was an arp modular but he didn't get that until later. a terrific performance.

I present here, fwiw, and by the miracle of e-mail archivism and via my mate who worked for the cocteau twins at townshend's eel-pie studio (while it was called september sound by the scottish ambience-botherers), the actual dope from old twonk-face himself. apologies for the caps but he's somewhat hard of hearing these days:

I USED GATED LOWREY ORGAN VIA EMS VCS3 GATED FILTER. NO SEQUENCER. I GOT MY ARP 2500 SYSTEM (HUGE) JUST AFTER I'D RECORDED THE FIRST FEW DEMOS FOR WHO'S NEXT. BABA O'RILEY WAS A CHEAT. I COULDN'T GET THE SEQUENCERS AND MIX-SEQUENCERS ON THE ARP UNDER MY FINGERS FAST ENOUGH SO I EMULATED SEQUENCING AND TAPE DELAYS USING THE MARIMBA ARPEGGIATOR EFFECT ON MY LOWREY BERKSHIRE.

there you are. I have no idea what he means by "mix-sequencers".

duncan.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender
by replying to this message.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe