Re: my first bad review

"Freedom of speech" is OK in principal, but there can
be other factors that influence a review as well. I
used to write the occasional review for Showcase, an
arts & entertainment magazine in the Seacoast New
Hampshire area (midway between Boston and Portland,
ME) and I definitely had an agenda regarding local
artists: in the interest of supporting the "scene" and
helping local acts build a following, I was reluctant
to say anything negative about local acts. If the CD
was "good", I would praise it, while if it was just
plain bad, I would pass on the review and not say
anything at all. While weaknesses would be mentioned,
I'd always make sure to balance them by finding and
emphasizing the artists' strengths as well.

Maybe the sense of community we share at LD has caused
me to see US in the same light; we're local, but just
not necessarily geographically close!

Also, with the right to an opinion, the reviewer also
has the responsibility to have his facts straight. A
review for an album that I played on harped on the
fact that the singer was using a "phony British
accent", and dismissed the whole album on the basis of
one song, or rather, one *word* in one song. Turns out
that his opinion was based on mishearing the word
"glossy" (describing photographs) as "glassy" which
didn't even make sense in context, so he slagged the
album, which otherwise got very positive reviews. The
band posted the bad review on their site all the same,
though, because it looked really funny next to the
others.

No less a pundit than Gene Simmons once said regarding
critics "I don't care what they're saying about me, as
long as they're talking about me."

-t-