Re: Bob Sellon JamMan upgrade was midi-locked delays and stuff

Ed Drake wrote:
>I think to access a lot of the things in the new ROM, you really do need a
>MIDI controller unless you want to twiddle knobs while you play.
>I don't really notice any latency with the JamMan myself and I often do
>rhythmic loops, so maybe I've gotten used to it and compensate
>subconciously
>for any latency. This is all subjective on my part as I don't have a way
>measure any possible latency. I'm using a Digitech PMC 10 midi controller.

>Max are you using Version 4 of the special ROM?  Make sure you report back
>to Bob with any of your observations or possible bugs, so he can possibly
>fix them in future versions (see below).  My favorite thing in the new
>upgrade is the Delay mode which is much like the Delay mode in the
>original
>JamMan software with adjustable feedback except you can go back and forth
>between loop and delay.

Ed:
Yes I am using version 4 of the updated software.  Latency may or may not
be
an issue with all JamMan's, but it has been noticable with mine to make me
forego any MIDI.

I had, when using MIDI, been able compensate for the slight lag, a least
while playing solo/looping gigs.  But, as I began to work in more
collaborations and deeper rhythmic loops, this latency became an issue.
Therefore I use plain ol' footswitches to tap in and out of the loops, and
my timing has been fine.

Yes, there is a bit of a tap dance to get to some of the functions in the
new software (having to scroll through the functions or channels can be a
pain, but workable in a live loop performance).  I suppose the best option
would be to use a "good" Midi footcontroller to send both program change
and
CC messages to address the functions/channels/pages etc. and the
footswitches to tap in and out (thus avoiding the delay lag).  I have been
too lazy to really add a "good" MIDI conroller to my setup (In fact, of
late
I have been trying to make it smaller, simpler, and easier to hook up on
darkened LoopFest stages!), but I may now consider adding something like
the
Behringer foot controller.

Interesting comments from Bob regarding the whole MIDI latency issue in
the
JamBoy.  To be fair, I have found that the MIDI clock (both sending and
receiving) is fine in the JamMan, and it plays well with most other MIDI
stuff, even EDPs and 'peaters  MY issue has been, and continues to be, the
latency in tapping in and out of loops (it is slight, but my stuff is
highly
rhythmic, and those miliseconds add up....to frustrations).

Thanks for the heads up about the delay mode and toggling 'tween delay and
loop.  I have, to be fair, only superficially checked out the delay
functions...and have not really explored the sampler or Mellotron Mode
(just
have not found time not use yet...but maybe now I shall).

Max