Re: vst loop plugin

At 1:25 PM -0800 12/10/02, Paul Weissman wrote:

>with a vst effect, you can capture/record an audio stream for as long as
>you
>have memory available in your pc.  now, given the limitations of working
>entirely inside a vst host (no custom control surface, just midi devices
>like keyboards/knob boxes)... what would you like to see the plugin be
>able
>to do to the captured audio stream?  and do you see this as feasible to
>use
>with the kind of performance you do?

I usually "perform" on signal processors, with input coming from
recordings or other players, as opposed to playing an instrument and
capturing loops of what I've played. I'd like a user interface that
lets me have a visual overview of the sound material and which will
give me quick access to editing and signal routing. Therefore I'd
like to be able to record multiple audio inputs into buffers that can
be either fully independent or linked together as two-channel or
multichannel recordings. Then I'd like to be able to loop sections of
these recordings either by "dropping" markers or by drag-selecting
segments.

Once I've defined one or more loops I'd like to be able to slide them
around, either by dragging with the mouse or by assigning a MIDI
controller. I'd want to control the start and end points of the loops
either independently or as a pair, so I could dynamically change the
length of a loop or so I could slide it back and forth through the
recorded material. It would be good to be able to do this with more
than one loop simultaneously.

It should be possible to define multiple loops within a recording and
to assign the selection of these loops to a graphic or physical
controller such as a MIDI or QWERTY keyboard. Jumping from one loop
to another should be optionally either instant or queueable, so that
each loop would play completely through before switching to the next.

A refinement of this loop sequencing system would be to save
sequences as presets that could then be triggered. This would allow
the creation of multi-loop phrases.

The user interface for this stuff could be complicated to design, but
I'd like it to reflect graphically the "objectness" of the loops and
loop sequences.

>ALSO... we still need two or three more people to help us with our vst
>plugin.  anybody else want to help test/play with an early version of the
>above concept?

Sign me up.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202