[looper's] Re: fripp'n'frisell

I think what he does with that hand up there is bending the neck slightly
give it a slight whammy, that creepy, ghostly wavering almost-out-of-tune
effect, accentuated when combined with a little delay like he's usually
got.  I
can't imagine what it does for a guitar to have it's neck physically wrung
all
the time, but he does seem to have a new guitar every few years...and I
wouldn't be surprised if he does have to work on tuning all the time too.

What I like best about his loops is that they're so integrated into his
live
playing, he doesn't use them for accompaniment in the usual sense.  They're
just another effect that's combined with his playing.

"Gone, Just Like a Train" is the cd I usually recommend to Frisell newbies.
It's very accessible song-wise, but full of his off-kilter approach.

Daryl Shawn
highhorse@mhorse.com