sony dat spdif transfer request for help.

I have a Sony Portable DAT recorder  PCM-M1 which I bought with the
required
RMR-D100 digital I/O converter and remote control unit.  To this day, I've
never been able to get any sp/dif talking going on between the recorder and
my Motu 828.  should be fairly simple....    Does anyone else use this
combination?  or know a suitable sony person to talk to?  I'm clean out of
ideas and have just gotten so frustrated as to bag on it everytime and go
analog...  thanks in advance for the help...

todd reynolds