RE: OT: Peter Gabriel if you can

Dear all,

        LOL!  Hate to say it, but I really dug the fact that he did that
one very
stripped down, though I have to admit, I would've loved to have heard him
sing that one at least for a verse or chorus or two in German.  Many moons
ago when he played in DC (before the "This End Up" Tour") he did that for
us
with a slight introduction saying that he had re-released a few of his
albums where he was singing in German, in an attempt to be more Worldly...
Larry was with him then providing a few atmospherics...  Later on he tried
doing what we heard this go around and the audience was a little too loud
in
their cries for "Biko" so he didn't finish the song.

        For the MCI Center in DC, the Blind Boys of Alabama were
incredible,
however a bit over-powering, kinda reminded me of a slightly more sedate
version of Mahavishnu Orchestra.  Really was incredible to hear their
version of "Amazing Grace" played to "House of the Rising Sun."  Took the
sound guys a bit to start dropping their levels down a bit.  Kinda irked me
that I'd never heard of this group prior, ...  I'd like to hear a bit more
of them live, and it really felt that we just got the barest of nibbles as
to just how good this group was.

        When Dr. Hukwe Zawose and his nephew came out in traditional garb
immediately afterwards  playing far softer and to be honest with a real
difficult task to trying to come on after an incredible opening act, they
did a wonderful job.  Haven't seen a pair of people play with more
enjoyment
before!  The sound guys, I think missed out on giving these two a bit more
in levels, however due to seating, I believe, they were incredible.  Was
also glad that this go around we didn't hear people screaming "Peter" all
through their set.  Again, this seemed to be awfully short...

        Finally, Peter and crowd came on.  A few small feedback issues, a
few
oddities in performance (won't say too much more, so as to not spoil the
surprises) and poor Rachel Z totally missing it for "In Your Eyes" for the
keyboard solo later.  Loved that Peter made the point of bringing out both
the Blind Boys of Alabama and Dr. Hukwe Zawose for different songs.  Felt
like we got to hear a really good sampling of what Peter has done before
and
has done recently off of his new album.  Was wonderful to hear at least one
song off of (nearly) every album he's done, though as I stated earlier, he
didn't do any in German, which was a partial shame as some of his songs
take
on a slightly different sound when he changes languages.
        Will only hint that for one of the songs, he does an even better
"Slipperman" and the sound/mic technicians did an insanely good job.  This
was also probably one of my more favourite songs ("Growing Up") of the
concert, let alone Peter chasing most of his back up band, especially
Daniel
Rhodes and Tony Levin around the outer edge of the rotating stage.
"Downside Up" looked like his daughter was going to pass out for the
special
stuff they did for that song earlier in show.

        Not sure what looper he was using, but there were a few short
loops that
were going around during the show from Peter's end more so than Rachel Z's.

        Highly recommend this show, and am looking forward to the new
disks that
Peter was talking about recording fairly soon.

        L8r on,

                Lee