music by numbers

Hello Ernesto, Jim, Mark, D.G.,

Everything in music goes by numbers: scales, harmonies, frequencies, beats
and bars....The Tone Clock is nothing more than a visual aid in sharpening
the awareness of meaningful harmonical structures, and as such it shows
worlds of possibilities beyond the obligatory major and minor. The Tone
Clock distinguishes itself from certain more personal compositorial
systems
in the sense that it is relevant for most existing music in twelve tone
equal temperament. It's a pity the site shows quite limited information,
there's more on internet but it's all in Dutch. The ninth hour (of the
Tone
Clock, yes) shows the intervals d-g and g-c: a triad composed of two
fourths. In the twelve tone scale there's twelve unique triads, twelve
'hours', and the hours seem to show connections which cover patterns in
lots of traditional and classical Western musics. I am not a composer, but
I can imagine a composer's fascination in discovering a geometrical
pattern
underlying practically all Western music, containing more experimental
links still to be tested! I have the same kind of fascination with sound
content and frequencies. OK, you like a sound or you don't, no matter if
you are familiar with acoustical theory, but if you want to control your
sound production or create new sounds, it helps to know how sound is
generated, and which are the fysical patterns governing sound production.

Katja.

Tone Clock link: www.xs4all.nl/~taede/toonklok/artikel/tonecl-e.htm