Re: Off-Topicers Delight! and 'Stutter'

At 07:32 PM 1/4/2003 -0800, Kim Flint wrote:

>Other things in my life leave me without much time to participate here
>lately, but I do still read the list most days. Over the last few months
>I've noticed with increasing dismay that almost no discussion about
>looping takes place here anymore. An off topic post once in a while
>doesn't hurt anybody, but Looper's Delight now appears to be 95%
>off-topic!

Well, I'll be the first to cop to blatantly straying off-topic at a
moment's notice (and why not: some of the most interesting conversations
I've had in my almost-15-years of electronic networking can be directly
blamed on topic-drift).  Likewise, I'll certainly agree that several of
the
conversations I've helped along are contrary to the stated mission of the
list -- self-moderated or not.

However, I would also argue that many of those same message threads --
while not expressly on-charter with the groups purpose -- have helped in
part to further solidify the members of this group as a community, rather
than just a disparate group of people reading email.  If this were a BBS,
I'd suggest actually creating an area which would act as a "Looper's
Support Group" -- a Looper's Cafe', if you will -- where otherwise
senseless banter and off-topic threads by the Looper Community would be
perfectly acceptable.  Perhaps a second list is worth considering... or
perhaps not.

Finally, as an act of contrition (and to make certain this message doesn't
completely devolve into navel-gazing) I'd like to offer this up:

I was poking around the FXPansion site a couple of days ago and came
across
their 'skunkworks' (betatest/experimental) area.  One of the free plugins
available for download from the site is a widget called Stutter.  Stutter
will allow you to do realtime sampling, mapping, and looping of up to four
simultaneous samples in real-time.

You can download Stutter at: http://www.fxpansion.com/skunkworks/skunk.php

I know it's probably closer to a phrase-sampler than an actual looper
(hey,
cut me a little slack).  But if FXPansion were to add a couple more key
features (feedback, an effects loop), they might be starting to approach a
software emulation of the Repeater.

Hope you can get some use out of it....

         -c-

-- President, Chicagoland Local Fan Club Chapter
    The Sanctimonious, Scurrilous Christian/Pagan/Atheist/Agnostic
Non-Cunning Linguist Moderate Fence Sitter And Leftist Wackos Fan Club