----- Original Message -----
From: "Catilyne" <catilyne@icicle.net>

> At 10:41 AM 1/10/2003 -0500, David Beardsley wrote:
> >From: "Tom Ritchford" <tom@swirly.com>
> > > You need a drum machine
> >
> >That's been done to death.
>
> Eh, if you really want to get into it, rock guitar has been done to death
> as well.

Well there you go! That's one of the reasons I don't play
rock guitar in public.

>Yet you still find people who are able to pull out new and
> interesting angles working within that medium.

> Generally, it ain't the tool; it's the carpenter.

No kidding.

> I think the bigger question is do you want to give people something
> familiar which they can hold onto while you're doing your sonic
> explorations, or do you want to simply drag them out to the
> netherworlds?

Netherworlds. I don't even have to drag them!

>Either approach is perfectly valid, but the greater the
> amount of critical listening/viewing you demand from your audience, the
> fewer number of individuals you find who are willing to put forth the
> effort to properly appreciate your show.

> The above, of course, is entirely a statement on the audience rather than
> the music.  But, if you're breaking new ground and you want to increase
> your audience, you've either got to offer something in which a greater
> number of people are interested (dancing girls may be a nice start), or
> expand the tastes of the audience until what you're doing is more widely
> accepted (a much more arduous process).  So, in summary, either you move
> closer to the 'mainstream', or you move the 'mainstream' closer to you...

That ain't gonna happen. I think Tom Ritchford knows this and that's
why he's joking with me.

I was being scarcastic, and I end up getting a lecture. Realistically,
I do have an audience and I even got a amazing review from
the New Music critic at the Village Voice last Fall (see my web site).
When I finish my guitar CD, I'll be able to play  "mainstream" venues that
can
afford to advertise.

Anybody know a good studio in the NYC/NJ area with 20 bit ADAT,
a real nice microphone and preamps? The one I was using had very nice
equipment, but not enough experience or time.

* David Beardsley
* http://biink.com
* http://mp3.com/davidbeardsley