Re: Throbbing Gristle tape looping

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Nelson" <psychle62@yahoo.com>

> There was an instrument in the 70's called the
> Birotron that was developed in association with Rick
> Wakeman as a next generation Mellotron.
> <http://www.8trackheaven.com/birotron.html> While the
> Mellotron's notes came from pre-recorded strips of
> 1/4" tape, the birotron actually used 8-track
> cartridges. When you played the keyboard, whatever was
> on the cartridges would sound. The problem was,
> Mellotron tapes contained the note's attack portion,
> and the Birotron's cartridges were endless loops in
> which a keyed note would start abruptly.

Whoa - I just read the little Rick Wakeman interview
at the above link. Perhaps he should have done it on stage...

"RW: The Mellotron... I used to have two single Mellotrons,
and a double special Mellotron. And the two single ones I had,
I was so frustrated, because of tuning problems, and the tapes...
And full of anger, I took the two Mellotrons into a field,
a put petrol over them, and I fired them.

YM: You really did that? I can't believe it!

RW: Yeah. And all of them, all the wood, burnt and all the metal just...

YM: Did you enjoy that?.

RW: At the time, at the time I enjoyed it, because they had ruined
so many sessions through going wrong and breaking, but afterwards
I regret it. Oh, of course I regret it!"

Cheers,
Scott M2

http://www.dreamSTATE.to
ambientelectronicsoundscapes