Re: average age of the looping community?

Well,

I'm a 49 year old father of 3 and husband of one woman
for 24 years so I guess that means I'm a guilty-as-charged,
working class "family guy" in most respects. But I began
looping a rather long time ago -- long before kids anyway
(my oldest is 17). And, my imagination had been captured
by the possibilities of the old tape "echoplex" and loops
made on "altered" reel tape decks long before I'd even
met my wife in 1976.

I'd say that us older musicians with a steady jobs and stable
situations are more able to procure, learn and hang on to
some of this expensive, complicated gear -- and develop
a pretty good vision of what we wanna do with it. We may
not be as free to tour or take gigs (the down side of the
"ties that bind") but we're no less passionate or creative
about our activities -- IMHO.

But, this is a pretty diverse list. No "ageism" is really possible.
Andre LaFosse is a youngish (and, as far as I know) single guy
who's utter mastery of the EDP knocks my socks off every
time I hear him. There are awesome women loopers of all ages.
And, although there seems to be a preponderance of guitar
slingers here there are drummers, DJs, wind, key and kitchen
utensil players too -- plus a handful that simply play the processing
sans instrument (or processing as an instrument in itself).

There are goddesses, doctors, teachers, students, artists,
writers, waiters, democrats, republicans, anarchists, religionists,
atheists, agnostics, whatever . . . folk of every walk and stripe
of life here. And, I suspect, a pretty wide spread of ages too.
Folks with dark hair, grey hair, purple hair or no hair abound.
This is a pretty complicated and colorful community.

tEd ® kiLLiAn

ArsOcarina@aol.com
http://www.mp3s.com/tedkillian
http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html