Re: drums with a guitar(need MIDI?)

At 05:19 AM 2/13/2003 -0500, SoundFNR@aol.com wrote:

>To go the MIDI way the Yamaha G50 looks like one of
>the better options. I wouldn't usually recommend Yamaha
>for anything musical, but in this case they bought the design
>from a company called Axon (units available?).
>The tracking is based on a neural net system, and seems
>pretty good.
>Allows you to send a different MIDI channel with each string.
>...and a mono input for MIDI convertion of any signal without the
>split p/u.

Well, since Yamaha's been mentioned in the context of MIDI guitars, I
might
as well throw in a plug for their original G-10 (now discontinued).  It's
solely a dedicated MIDI controller which makes no tone on its own, and it
takes a little time to get set up (not to mention getting used to playing
6
'G' strings).  However, the tracking and pitchbend are flawless -- amongst
the best of any MIDI controller ever offered.

And, even though it's an older unit, you get some of the standard MIDI
functions you'd expect from more modern controllers: separate MIDI channel
(as well as velocity, pitchbend tracking) for each individual string,
separate tuning on each string stored by preset (change your entire
instrument's tuning relationship by simply switching presets), whammy bar
acts as pitchbend for all strings, integrated breath controller and
expression pedal inputs, etc., etc.

Worth checking out if you come across one, and can deal with your guitar
making no sound on its own....

         -c-

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil