What is a parametric preamp (was "Microphones")

Bob,

What, please, is a "parametric preamp" ? I am familiar with things called
"parametric amplifiers" from my courses in HF electronics, but I do not
understand how you would use one of these for your microphones. (A
parametric amplifier is a weird device which you can use, among other
things, to take a baseband signal and mix it with a 1 GHz (or something)
carrier wave to get a means of transferring your baseband signal in the
microwave range. Every radio, mobile phone, TV or whatever has (at least)
one.)

Thanks,

        Rainer

Rainer Straschill