Re: Raison d'etre

>On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 15:02:28 EST, <ArsOcarina@aol.com> wrote:
>>Anywho, I thought I'd toss the old "Why the heck do we do what we do?"
>>thread question out there again. It hasn't gone around lately anyway (at
>>least I haven't seen it in circulation in a while). Maybe it'll inspire,

I have actually asked this very question of a number of artist/colleagues
in
the past several months.  Not just musicians and/or loopists, but visual
artists, dancers, writers...even DJs.
The closest I can come to an answer is: because we need to. Because we are
compelled to do this thing we do.  At the risk of being a cheap Hollywood
cliche, it completes us.  Art, of any kind, is the true measure of any
society, and in their honesty it is the artists who bring final light to
all
of its truths and vices, virtues and lies.

In some way, each of us must feel we are, by doing "this thing we do",
beating back the darkness just a bit.  'Tho we all know that mostly we are
just jousting with windmills...still we continue, and if by some small
miracle we are able to really communicate with another human being, to
touch
them, to show them "other" possibilities..or perhaps ignite a small
chuckle,
a smile or a simple dance then we can walk home feeling successful at what
we do.

Will those in the "general public" ever fully understand the amount of
work
we undertake? It is doubtful.  Music has become a bit of a disposable
entertainment source of late, and most think this all very easy (and
looping, like DJ-ing is not really "Playing music"). The countless hours
of
practice, tactics and techniques; of headaches and backaches will not
doubt
go un-noticed.  But I don't really think that will change anyone's course.

I don't think an artist really creates for the public, it is just a nice
added bonus when the public is moved by or appreciates the work an artist
does.  We create for ourselves...because we have to...it is our compulsion.

Jeez, Ted...what can of worms have you opened up here?

Besides, what else are ya gonna do, fercrissake...being a graphic
designer?
;-)

Max