RE: Vortex?

Jair-Rohm,

> So i've recorded over three hours of improvisations with the
> Vortex and
> have (so far) come to the conclusion that it isn't doing
> anything that i
> couldn't do with my Delay Modeler and the BFX708. I

If that is the case, could you please tell me how you morph between two
completely different effects using an expression pedal with your DL4/BFX
combo? Let me first state that the Vortex isn't really funny without one
dual footswitch (used for tapping and a/b switching) and an expression
pedal
(used for whatever you see fit). The Vortex can do fantastic abnormalities
or just simply nice rhythmic delay effects. It offers an envelope follower
for all algorithms, you set the delay time for both lines as divisions of
your tapped delay time - ah, you have two delay lines with every algorithm,
and you can morph between two effects (which no other effector I've ever
used can do - perhaps you can do this with the big Eventides ?).

What is beyond my understanding, though, is why this was marketed as an
effect for guitarists. While it works fine on a guitar all right, many of
its possibilities (like the rhythmic delays and the true stereo processing,
as well as the "sound" of the unit) really shine with a drum machine.

Is the Vortex a cool processor? Yes it is. Can it do things you won't get
with your other effectors? Yes it can.

About the prices: Prepal lists it with $165, which I personally think is a
bit steep, compared to the prices "on the market". I got mine (an unused
leftover from a storage somewhere) for ~$100, but I've seen Vortices on
ebay
for slightly below that. Plan in, as I mentioned, the expression pedal,
which is a *must*.

        Rainer

Rainer Straschill
Moinlabs GFX and Soundworks - www.moinlabs.de