Re: Orvilles to replace EDPs?

In a message dated 3/28/2003 12:01:11 PM Mountain Standard Time, kflint@loopers-delight.com writes:

At 09:21 AM 3/26/2003, Looping9string@aol.com wrote:
>I currently use several (15+) effects pedals and a pair of Gibson echoplex
>digital pro units...
>
>I want to replace the "effects" at the least with an EVENTIDE ORVILLE...

wow, it must be nice to be that wealthy.

Notice I said, i "want" ... not I can or positively will!

If I were wealthy, even a smidgen, I would be donating MILLIONS to LD!!! ;)

My question was, will this work, or should I stop dreaming now?

you wouldn't be able to do most of the EDP's features on the Orville, so it
wouldn't really be a direct replacement. Orville can do many other
wonderful things though, as I'm sure Italo can tell you.

>When connecting two EVENTIDE ORVILLES, could I use them the way a pair of
>the Gibson echoplex digital pros work when using the brother sync function?

no. BrotherSync is bidirectional, meaning either unit can set the master
loop length for the other. You can easily switch back and forth between
which one is leading while you play, just as you can with real musicians.
BrotherSync also syncs at the sample level, so it is very tight. It also
makes it very easy to create loops that are different multiples of each
other between the two units, while keeping in sync.

The Orville would use midi clock to sync, which is uni-directional. So one
device always has to be the master and everything else the slave. You have
to reroute the midi flow to change it, and probably reconfigure the units
between master and slave. Midi clock is also much coarser so the
synchronization is not as tight. This isn't anything to do with the Orville
really, but midi.

>I play in stereo but I use my Gibson echoplex digital pros as if I were
>two separate musicians ... however I like them to be in time together ...
>so I use the brother sync function...

that's exactly the point of BrotherSync. It was invented because you can't
really do that with midi.

>Can I sync two EVENTIDE ORVILLES in such a way that they don't have to
>loop together but, can sync up as two separate lopers that function in
>time together?

if you are happy with one always being the master for the other. You also
probably wouldn't have the same flexibility to create different loop length
relationships on the fly as you can easily do with two EDP's and brothersync.

kim

You definitely answered my question, and no I cannot afford the eventide for quite some time ... thanks for keeping me financially in check with your sarcasm.

I think the EDP's are the greatest! In fact I just got a friend to buy one so now we use brother sync 3 ways!

(my pair, and his mono)

What a blast!

I guess now if and when I can ever come into one, I would love to have an eventide for my effects, and still use the EDP's for the looping...

Thanks KIM once again you gave me great info so I could understand what is best for my situation!

I really appreciate it!

Now I feel that (currently in a dream phase), I would love to use:

(1) Eventide Orville
(4) EDP's (brother sync them all)
(4) Speaker cabs...