Re: EDP cost/promotion/etc and some figures for thought

At 10:38 PM 3/30/2003, Mark Sottilaro wrote:
>   My point was that it seemed sad to me that a classic and still
> successful product like the EDP didn't warrant an upgrade after 10 years
> of production.  It's made with a processor that's extinct, at this
> point.  That should worry all of us.

for whatever it's worth, the processor that the EDP uses is one of the
most
successful and widely used microprocessors ever in history. And since it
is
still used in thousands of products, and is still in production after
something like 20 years, I don't think there is anything to worry about.
It's a bread and butter product for its manufacturer. It is also quite
affordable compared to many other microprocessors on the market.

>   Is it wrong for me to hope that things would look up for the EDP to a
> point that Gibson puts some development money into a version that runs
>on
> modern hardware?

Gibson did just put a whole bunch of money and effort into releasing a new
version of the Echoplex.

I'm not sure why it matters how "modern" the hardware inside is or isn't.
The hardware is capable of doing the features that the EDP has. If you
like
those features, the EDP may be a nice choice of looper for you. If the
features are not what you are looking for, choose something else.

>I was just speculating that if the EDP could be made with a processor
>that
>was currently mass produced, it could be a bit more affordable which
>would
>possibly bring more people to the world of live looping.

If you want more people interested in Looping, you need more popular music
using looping to inspire more people to do it. That in turn will cause
more
looping products to appear, since there will be many people demanding them.

The existence of looping products at any price is not going to cause more
people to get interested in looping. That would be the tail wagging the
dog. (Or supply-side economics, your choice.)

kim