Re: EDP -- history of stuff

Steve -

You're right, Kim and Matthias' "separation" of the software from the
hardware was/is very smart.  And I totally agree, the EDP is a very very
cool and unique device.

Back in 1999 when Opcode went belly up, (if memory serves me) I believe
Gibson sold-off the entire Oberheim line (to an Italian company).   Only
the
EDP was retained thanks to the efforts of one individual inside Gibson
(who's name is completely escaping me).

I'd say a "two-pronged" press on Gibson helped resuscitate the EDP:

1) Inspiration: "The Man Inside Gibson Who's Name I Cannot Remember" - for
retaining the EDP with Gibson;
2) Demand: Demonstrating market interest in the EDP a number of ways;
including, for example, presenting high LD-site web-traffic stats.  We did
everything we could to demonstrate that if the unit were produced, it would
sell profitably.  One proof-point was presenting to Gibson a "bulk-order"
for over 200+ EDP's with no sales & distribution costs, if they just used
available inventory.

Back in 1999, I'd estimate 99% of Gibson Sales and Marketing would have
understood the EDP to be a tape-based delay!  The point is, unfortunately
unless Gibson could make a buck, they wouldn't have cared if the EDP died.

Ultimately, the quality of the software from Kim and Matthias has created a
unique and wonderful product, which in turn has created the demand and
interest in the EDP.  It's the interest -- manifested by regular EDP
sales -- that keeps it alive.

Actually, I'm curious -- how many readers are using EDP's that they bought
from this 1999 "pre-production" order?

David Kirkdorffer