Re: why a laptop at all?

Quoting mark <sine@zerocrossing.net>:
> It seems they're riddled with issues, including noise and latency
> issues.  A Sony VAIO is going to run you about $1500, an Apple Titanium
> Powerbook is going to be $300 more.

I utilise Five12.com Numerology software extensively in recording and
gigging
(as the most improv-friendly sequencer i've used in 11 years of MIDI
sequencing), and i'd like to add up my costs for you. my basics, mind you.
audio processors (Elextric and Digitech gear aside) are not totalled here:

used Apple Powerbook G3: $800 (in june of last year, it's cheaper now)
used MIDI interface: $250 (MIDI Express XT; i could get by with less
though)
Numerology MIDI sequencer: $50 (well, it was comped to me: i was alpha
testing)
Akai s2800 for drums with Zip drive: $150 (worth $200; i'd get an S5000
instead)
Novation Bass Station: $200 (estimated post-trade cost)
Korg MS2000: $490

grand total: $1940

total for laptop rig: $1100

if you're going to do just midi (i'm all about the MIDI) then you don't
need
the Aluminum 17" Gigahz Badboy.

i realise that some may scoff at using a laptop for just midi, but keep in
mind
that there are plenty of people that pay alot of money for hardware
sequencers
that don't allow you to sum pitch sequences and skip steps.

also, saving money on the laptop makes room for buying an EDP, Repeater
(watch
out for that P/S though), or a big pile of RDS units. :)

the coolest thing to do is to take all thost old-ass digital processors
you can
buy on Ebay for 50-150 bucks (TSRs, LXPs, Studio 400s and whatnot) that
have CC
control of their effects and sequence them. here's an example (though this
isn't as wild as i would like to point out):
http://www.suitandtieguy.com/sounds/stutter.mp3

so by buying a cheap laptop and cheap old effects you can get really crazy
sounds. i have all the knobs on my Electrix gear labelled with Brother
P-Touch
labels as to what CC# they are. all my gear also has a little label of
what
port and channel it's on as well.

if you have analogue synthesisers, you could buy a bigger MIDI-CV
converter
than you need and use the extra gate/cv outs to control even CHEAPER
effects.