Re: Getting rid of the Vortex...

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I'd call the MPX-G2 a "must buy" although I do
like it.  It's got that "hi-fi" sound I love.  Rich deep complex tone.
For clean sounds it's superb... but I can't help but wonder if another
MPX1 would have been just as good.  (Since I got the G2 for the price
of an MPX1 with a MPXR1 controller, it doesn't matter to me).  It's
"tube amp" simulation is less than stellar in my opinion.  Almost too
"hi-fi".  I like a juxtaposition of hi-fi and DIRT.  However in the
effects loop of my all tube Ampeg Reverbrocket it sounds amazing.  When
I'm going direct into a board I put a real tube pre (Rocktron Piranha)
in it's effect loop.  Here's my issues with the MPX-G2:

Distorted patches aren't that good... some are OK for a good Fuzztone.

JamMan... whatever.  It's *not* a JamMan.  It will sync a loop to a
midi clock though.  One of the reasons I got the G2 was because I
thought if the JamMan feature was good, I could do a show with single
space rack.  Not happening.  I'm spoiled with the Repeater's abilities
and I can't go back!  Add another 2 spaces.  What about the nice tube
sound?  Add another.  Oh, and my synth tones... add another 2.

So much for that big idea... the dream of a small rig DASHED TO PIECES!

Like Gary said, like most Lexicon gear be prepared to have your head in
a manual for a while.  If you know the MPX1, you'll be fine.  The two
are very similar and I was figuring out most if it in no time.  I guess
I'm used to stuff like this because I don't even notice that it's
complex anymore.  Working in music retail and figuring out used gear
without manuals has made my gear fu strong!  The great thing about it
is it's POWERFUL.  You can get *really* deep.

So... if I had the chance to do it all again... I'd probably just get
another MPX1... though I've not actually gone Rocktron into the MPX1
then into the board.  Might need some sort of cab modeler afterwards...
  But don't take all this with too much weight.  To be honest, I've been
slammed at work and I have not spent enough time with the G2 and a lot
of the time has been spent with headphones.  I was hoping for a single
rack space solution to a great guitar tone. (sans amp)  I didn't get
it.  I keep getting the feeling that with some more digging I'm going
to find some gold in that box.  Well, more gold I should say, as right
out of the box it's pretty impressive.

Mark Sottilaro