Re: Types of Music

I blur the distinction even further sometimes because
while I play live instruments into real-time loops, I
also play short prepared loops off a couple of
minidisc decks via volume pedals INTO real-time loops.
It differs from playing over a prepared backing in
that it's essentially impossible to do the same thing
twice.

The prepared loops are usually only a few seconds long
and are mostly pads and beds; mellotron samples, old
radio commercials, shruti drones, etc. that I've
mangled in Acid and/or Sound Forge, but the loops that
they end up in are manipulated in real time along with
live instruments. I also put these sorts of prepared
loops on microcassette which is then fed through a
guitar pickup into the loopers...

-t-