Bill Walker's amp modeler

I think I've seen enough people using the Line6 Pod Pro effectively to
realize that amp modeling technology as arrived.  I've noticed the last
couple of times I've seen Trey Gunn he seems to use them for his stick,
and his tone was also one of the best I've seen in a live situation (to
those who don't know his work, do yourself a favor and see one of his
live shows, my wife and I thought he was one of the best performers
we'd seen in quite some time)

It just stands to reason that eventually computing power and good
software would eventually be able to model a tube amp effectively.
It's a complex system, to be sure, but hell my ex girlfriend got her
doctorate writing code that modeled gravity wells in black hole
situations.  Anyway, I swear by my Johnson.  It's less fragile, quieter
and more powerful than my Ampeg Reverbrocket, and it has great tone.
When I got the Reverbrocket I did A/B tests, and I swear some of the
models on the Johnson sounded embarrassingly good.  I've also heard
people who use vintage tube stuff exclusively that sound like crap.

Part of me waxes nostalgic about what's sure to be the end of tube
amps, but the other part realizes that tubes are the result of a pretty
nasty manufacturing process (so are microchips but they're not
disposable like tubes are) and will for sure be ever harder to get as
time goes by.  Oh well.

Then again, every time I hear Andre Lafosse play out of that
Mesa/Boogie he uses I think, "wow, such tone..."

Mark Sottilaro