Re: PSP42 versus PCM42

At 3:24 PM -0400 4/30/03, Douglas Baldwin wrote:
>I suspect (some of) your questions refer to the PCM42's Sample mode
>(which I never use), not the echo/delay mode. Is this so?

To my recollection the stock PCM42 didn't have a sample mode, just an
infinite repeat mode. This is confirmed by the PCM42 manual.

>By "Repeat" I assume you mean "infinite repeat."

Yes.

>When you put it in this mode, it "freezes" whatever has been created
>up to that point, echoes and all.

This is not what happens in PSP42. When you press "Repeat" it
captures incoming signal but not the feedback effects.

I also find that I can't punch in new material without replacing the
entire contents of the loop. One of the things I like to do with a
looper is to go in and out of infinite repeat mode and add bits of
new material to the existing loop. If you do this with feedback at
zero it should replace the current looping material. If you do it
with feedback turned up it should overdub the new material and mix it
with the old. This doesn't seem to be possible in PSP42.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com