Re: Howie Day

At 09:17 AM 5/1/2003, Greg House wrote:
>--- Scott Hansen <scott-a-hansen@uiowa.edu> wrote:
> > this mirrors my thoughts when i saw him on carson d. one of my
> > reactions was, "i wonder how many young musicians were watching this,
> > saw the wonderful loop things he was doing live, and it gets them
> > to thinking about how to use 'looping' for their own purposes in
> > the future." just curious to see the future folks like us who
> > say, "yea, yrs ago i saw howie day on carson daily, and it got me
> > going..."
>
>Unfortunately, unless you already know something about looping, watching
>someone
>stepping on a box while a sound plays may not trigger a connection in
>their mind.
>They could be thinking those are just stomp boxes and the sound is coming
>from
>samples or backing tracks.

at the concert I saw, thousands of Tori Amos fans seemed to figure it out
just fine. They listened raptly and gave him a big ovation afterwards. the
music was good, and they liked it. My girlfriend said there was some
confusion on the tori discussion lists about how the looping worked, but
people there set it straight. It wasn't a big deal at all. People get
technology in music. The younger they are the better they get it.

You guys sure are good at inventing obstacles for yourselves.

kim