Re: brotherhood of the bass

At 6:43 PM -0700 5/1/03, Dan Shapiro wrote:
>There is a reason for bass players sometimes souding like guitar players;
>the
>instrument you are talking about is the bass guitar; it is capable to
>filling
>numerous roles as counterpoint, harmony and soloist. Anyone who plays
>bass is
>playing bass because they are "thinking bass".  It is an elusive
>thing shared by composers, pianists and other countermelodists.

I started out as a singer and rhythm guitarist, and when I became an
electric bassist by default in my last rock band (1978-79) I
naturally approached the instrument in a very rhythmic fashion. It
was also natural to do this because it was a punk band. Everything
was fast and "white." I played with a pick and used a Kramer with a
very snarly sound.

The advantage (for me) of coming to bass from rhythm guitar rather
than lead is that I was not inclined to play elaborate melodic lines
or flashy riffs. I stuck to the root a good deal of the time and
listened to the drums. As a singer and songwriter I was also keenly
aware of vocal phrasing and song structure, so I kept my parts well
integrated. It also helped that I didn't have amazing chops, so I
played it safe and solid (something I've wished some of my bassists
would have done).

Having done that, and then having spent a number of years
collaborating with a "real" bassist (meaning one who performs as a
soloist on acoustic contrabass) I have a real appreciation for the
difference between bass guitar and "bass." The latter instrument in
the right hands can cover most of the range of the violin family and
can function as a percussion instrument as well. It has to be one of
my favorite instruments.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com