Re: Kim Flint questions on your design work for the EDP

I agree with Jon's description, but I'd add that it can also be (in the
case of the MC505, for example) actual creation of the sequences in a
live situation.  You actually perform the beat which the machine then
loops.  I've done this with the MC307, but it's more awkward, as
there's no undo unless you stop the sequence.  I wanted to be able to
take beats out of needed.  Doing this in a step record situation is
really fun and useful.

Another thing the Roland family of boxes does is they allow you to take
parts out of needed, in a non destructive way.  Thus, a very complex
beat/sequence can be created, then varied in countless ways by choosing
different combinations of tracks and effects.

I don't really think this differs from looping, it's just a different
kind of tool than using something that actually captures audio.

Mark Sottilaro