Re: Looping stuff (was RE: why pot before looping?)

"Michael LaMeyer" <m.lameyer@verizon.net> said,
> Cool!  Looping!  K ...
>
> So, everybody share a looping technique or recipe.  Mmmm, recipe.  Even
the
> simplest, dingiest one .. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of those.
C'mon,
> it's cool ..

I'm reminded of the end of Dee-Lite's "Groove is in the Heart" video, when
Bootsy says, "Dee-Lite have definately been known to smoke - (blowing party
favor, shaking finger) - on stage that is!"

I went through a period when I executed the first "Club Meditation" pieces
publicly before buying a second Zoom 2100 from David Myers (and thank you
LD
for that connection!), making the setup of two 2100s and my beloved but
groundedly-cranky 7.6 Time Machine that I use today.  The structure of the
pieces was as follows:

Settings:
Zoom 2100: 6-second tape sim / 32-second sample-playback
(Line in 9-10 on Mackie 1202vlz)
Time Machine: 4-second loop (attached to Aux 1)
Quadraverb+ on 1202vlz's control out, into PC

They'd be played like this:

Build loop for texture on the 2100 using the 6-second tape simulation;
Open the Time Machine loop and capture it, then close to repeat throughout
piece;
Switch 2100 to 32-second sample/playback;
Record solo loop on 2100, play immediately, then pause;
Play solo in this 'pause';
Begin playing loop again on 2100;
Play softer solo like before;
Open Time Machine, let it decay to end.

For some reason I decided to try to get fifteen pieces on the CD, which
required that most of them be less than 4.30.  This generated the only
complaint about them, if it was that: That the pieces were too short to
generate a truly "meditative" experience (thank you Steve L!).  While I had
initially executed this collection as this tightly-constrained set, and
stuck to the structure as a positive exercise, I had to agree that they
were
shorter than I'd have liked.  It was later on when I'd bought the second
2100 - and upgraded my PC to faster than 350MHz - that I pursued much
longer
pieces like "B. Sing Yu" and "Hitchhiker's Lament".

But I had to wonder a bit about Steve's comment: One of my own complaints
about Eno's classic "Music for Films" collection was that the pieces were
too short.  I wanted MORE, dammit!  And in turn was eventually motivated to
create longer pieces myself.  On the flip side, isn't it a good thing to
have listeners wanting MORE?

Steve Goodman
EarthLight Productions
*