Re: Cycletronica

You would be specializing in Psyclic Wankotronics, right? ;-) (Except that
probably messes up the pronunciation.) You are way ahead of me with N.E.W.
since I've been since Schoolkids' Records in Ann Arbor had a NEW music
section back in the early 1980's.

I actually was semi-serious with the over all suggestion of "Cycletronica"
if not with the subgenre suggestions. It attempts to move the focus off the
process ("live use of a looping tool") and onto the audible results. It
distinguishes between cases where loops are being used as part of the
background -- e.g., David Torn's really great work on David Bowie's Heathen
-- and cases where the cycles are the focus of attention.

There is some risk that it leaves in the Acid/Live pre-recorded loop side
of
things. What those probably lack most of the time is the evolutionary
aspect. (I contemplated "evolutionary cycletroncia" but that just seemed
like too much of a mouthful.) On the other hand, if there's enough
evolution
to the cycles or their use, then I don't see a need to exclude that music
out of hand.

If Matthias and Andre feel they need to spell out aesthetic manifestos that
exclude each other, then I'm afraid I can't help there. I'd rather worry
about the aesthetic center for Cycletronica than erecting a fence at the
perimeter.

There's also always the option of attaching additional adjectives. Ambient
Cycletronica, Aggressive Psyclotronica, Live Dayglo Green Cyclatronica,
etc.

I do have to ask myself whether all of the material on my CD actually
qualifies as Cycletronica. It's predominantly Cycletronica so that might be
enough. The opening and closing pieces, however, have no loops (since I
didn't own a looper at the time). On the other hand, they do make use of
evolving tone sequences so arguably that would count as well. Judge for
yourself. The last track from the CD starts playing by default if you visit
my web site (which incidentally labels the music "Ambient Guitar" but may
get changed to "Cycletronica" or "Cycletronic Guitar"). Hmm. I devise a
name
for a genre and then proceed to consider whether I need to exclude myself.

Mark

http://www.baymoon.com/~mark_hamburg